Thank you for your interest in joining our team! Taproot is a hands-on education program rooted here in South Philly that prepares high school graduates to be hard working and deeply engaged individuals in college and in life. We take pride knowing that the foundation Taproot provides students serves to increase their awareness of the world and deepen their appreciation of what a fulfilling and balanced life can look like.
One of the most important aspects of Taproot is our home stay placement program. Though practicum experience, the classroom, guest speakers, and field trips are important to our program, we believe there is only so much that can be learned outside of a home. That's where you come in!
We need families that are excited to support our program and are willing to assist us in creating a healthy and balanced educational experience by opening their homes and their lives to our students. This will be a significant life transition for many of our students, and having a diverse and welcoming home environment is essential for them to engage during their time in Philadelphia.
Please receive our deepest thanks for your interests in joining the Taproot team and becoming one of our trusted home stay sites. Your contribution to our program cannot be overstated.
Sunday, August 28th 2016 - Students arrive in Philadelphia
Friday October 14th - Sunday October 16th 2016 - Parents' Weekend
Saturday, November 19th 2016 - Thanksgiving break begins
Sunday, November 27th 2016 - Students return from Thanksgiving break
Sunday, December 11th 2016 - The Semester ends and students head home
- FOOD: Home stays are required to provide students with access to food and the equipment necessary to prepare three (3) meals per day for themselves. It is the home stay's responsibility to communicate clearly what the expectations are in regards to grocery buying, meal preparation, cleanup, and food storage from day one. It is important that Taproot students feel that they are provided for while not being overly pampered or burdened with unclear expectations.
- QUALITY TIME: We ask our home stays to arrange a minimum of one (1) sit down meal per week with the students. This is an incredibly important piece to the Taproot program and can be one of the most rewarding experiences for you and for your students.
- BEDS & LINENS: Each student requires a twin sized mattress and bed linens. Mattresses or well-cushioned sleeping pads are acceptable. If you wouldn’t want to sleep there, neither will they.
- STORAGE: Each student will need adequate storage for clothes, both for informal and formal wear. Dressers should provide adequate storage and closet space should be enough for a several nice shirts or dresses.
- INTERNET: Students must have home access to Internet. Wifi or Ethernet is acceptable.
- LAUNDRY: Students must have access to means of washing and drying their clothes. Either on-site machines or access to a local laundry mat are acceptable. It is the family’s responsibility to provide the means for the students to do laundry at a laundry mat, be it quarters or card.
- HEATING & COOLING: Students must have access to adequately warmed or cooled environments at home. Central heat/air or space heaters/fans are be acceptable.